Awesome Beginnings Childcare
To watch this video in full-screen mode click the icon at the bottom right of the video screen. Click the escape button at the top left corner of your keyboard to exit the full-screen mode. You can also watch it on YouTube by clicking the YouTube icon.
Awesome Beginnings Childcare
My name is Lisa Boerum. This slideshow serves as a “visual resume” of one of the businesses that I owned for many years. Awesome Beginnings Childcare was located just east of Hugo, MN and closed on June 12, 2009. I provided families with quality child care for many years.
I was very proud of my business. Caring for children was my professionally chosen career and I loved it. Owning Awesome Beginnings Childcare offered me the chance to make a difference in the world by having a positive effect on the lives of children.
Part of my home (1300 square feet) had been custom built for my child care and was used exclusively for child care. Awesome Beginnings Childcare had its own driveway, entrance, kitchen, bathroom, infant/toddler bedroom, office, large playrooms, and a very large fenced playground.
The rooms of the child care were divided by 32″ high walls which allowed for close supervision while still allowing the playrooms to be set up into different “learning centers”. Some of the learning centers included Dramatic Play, Blocks, Writing, Math, Manipulatives, Reading Loft, Infant/Toddler Manipulatives, Puzzles & Games, Art, Listening Area, Group Time Area, Music, and more.
The benefits that Awesome Beginnings Childcare offered:
A curriculum and learning environment that met the children’s social, emotional, physical, intellectual, health, and safety needs and met or exceeded the requirements of Minnesota’s Early Learning Standards and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) code of ethics
A system to observe and assess what the children knew in order to plan curriculum that addressed the children’s developmental and learning needs
- A clean, very organized environment that was well stocked with educational activities, toys and supplies
- Two experienced providers – I completed the training for the Child Development Associate Credential and I attended about 65 hours of training per year (8 were required). I employed a second provider that also attended annual training.
- Providers certified/trained in CPR and Emergency Response, SIDS, Shaken Baby Syndrome, and Child Passenger Restraint. These certifications were renewed on a regular basis.
- A smoke and pet free child care environment
- Excellent references from satisfied clients
- Worry-free caregiver backgrounds – each year a background study was completed on me, my employee, all my family members (age 13 and up) and my helpers/substitutes.
- Very competitive child care fees
Director, Business Owner, 2000 – 2009
As the director of Awesome Beginnings Childcare, I:
- Planned and implemented a curriculum and learning environment that met the children’s social, emotional, physical, intellectual, health, and safety needs and ensured that it met or exceeded the requirements of Minnesota’s Early Learning Standards and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) code of ethics
- Exceeded the required hours of annual training by 800%. Participated in ongoing training and events to improve early childhood practice and gain business knowledge
- Addressed the children’s developmental and learning needs by establishing and implementing a system to observe and assess what the children knew in order to plan curriculum
- Improved program operations and employee training, competencies, and performance by creating and implementing processes for managing and evaluating them
- Developed supportive, long-term relationships with enrolled children and their families and served as a resource for families on children’s issues
See Lisa Boerum’s Resume
Executive Administrative Assistant
Real Estate – Marketing – Technology
Office & Business Management
Web Design, Development, & Management